Saturday, January 7, 2012

Cute vs Functional?

It's 7 in the morning, I'm having my wake-up cup of hot chocolate (which is not a thing, but maybe I should make it so?), and I am a picky person.  We bought a crib yesterday which is our first piece of baby furniture IN OUR LIVES and I'm going to buy some paint for the room this afternoon -- I think they call this "nesting".  I'm interested in decorating for baby, is what I'm saying.  But I want it to be my kind of cute.  This is hard for me, because I have trouble with the gaping rift that often lies between "cute" and "useful", which usually bullies me into a stalemate with myself.  I want things to look good but be functional, when I really sit down and think about it.  Usually when I'm the one shelling out the money.

Especially since we're having a boy.  The boys in my life have not generally been "excess frilliness" types of boys.  Boys tend to be more practical, which is something I value because I need their practicality so desperately to balance me out sometimes.  I don't want a lot of unused, meaningless crap around to bog down my little dude...but I am still me, and I still want his space (and mine) to be pleasing, inviting, and friggin' cute.

Here is something cute, something functional, and something I might actually buy him:




Anyway.  It's 7:30 in the morning and now all I want to do is look at cute baby things.  If you run across cute baby things in your day, please don't hesitate to send a link my way.  Here is what I have so far as to baby things:

What will be the baby room, which has up til now been our dump everything room.
 
 $40!

Plus clothes.  This kid probably already has more clothes than I do (thank you grandmas!)

You all have a lovely day.  I am going to binge.

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on getting the crib up! My cousins husband said it was the hardest part of parenting lol second hardest was figuring out how to collapse the stroller.

    I have a tiny apartment and I so often struggle with cute/practical. I feel your pain girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, loving that crib. 40$? AWESOME.

    Hmm, I have a couple of pinboards that may be of some help? Not sure..

    http://pinterest.com/hllly/kids-and-guest-rooms/

    http://pinterest.com/hllly/babies-and-baby-showers/

    Also, I might have to make a lil' somethin' somethin' for your little boy... so send me an e-mail with your address & colour scheme, please & thank ya! hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, first an foremost... Your baby NEEDS this hat.
    And then there's this cute stuffed dino tutorial.
    You're welcome.

    ReplyDelete