Friday, May 6, 2011

You say you need a little of my ooh-la-la

I've been having Fridays off of work lately (I know you think I'm going to link to a song, but I'm not.  And I'm sure I don't know what you're talking about.)  And lately on my Fridays off, I've been a big fat bag of slugs, as to my productivity.  Meaning, my couch is my best friend (and my most bitter enemy.)  I'm not even going to tell you how long its been since dishes got done around here.

But the point is that today was slightly better, in that I managed to wake, shower, and get dressed in something other than old jeans and an old t-shirt and even do my hair kind of, and get out of the house by noon.  Well, noonish.  I took the pup on a walk to the park down the street, the one with all the ducks and the river and the bags for your dog's poop.  And we plopped ourselves down on a shady bench and we read our book, oh yes we did.  I would like to point out that it's a matter of some significance to me that there was shade to be had AND needed.  Looks like the weather finally realized that it's May.  Yeah, it's about time.

Well, after that it was obviously time to go look for some rose bushes to plant.  Because last night we had dinner with some of my family, and I was telling them of my love for roses and how I greatly desire to have some in my very own yard.  And one of my aunts, who is gracious and beautiful and fair in all ways, handed me money with which to buy a rose bush.  For an early birthday present!  My birthday is forever away!  I am clearly the favorite child of the universe, yesterday.

So today I girded up my loins and went to a local nursery.  Because I am a girl who's name is on a mortgage contract, because I am a girl who knows she loves roses and knows she must have them, and I have joined the ranks of gardeners.  Only once I passed over the nursery threshold and beheld the many much flowers that exist in the world and the varying degrees of sunlight they all need and the particular conditions they prefer their soil to be and how thirsty or not they are and suddenly I'm feeling very full of humble pie.  I texted Tony: "Dude...I don't know jack about gardening."

So I guess I'm going to learn, slowly.

More importantly, look what I found.


Tell me that doesn't make you think of this:



Anyway, at the end of the day we have five rose bushes of our very own sitting in our backyard, waiting to be planted somewhere.  And I hope to get many more, eventually.  Robin McKinley will want to write a fairytale about me by the time I'm done.

2 comments:

  1. That's one sexy picture love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so stinkin' cute! Love the sexy rexy rose! who names these things???

    ReplyDelete