Sunday, February 12, 2012

RUGS AND BUNNIES AND YES, MORE PREGNANCY WHINING

Okay, so, the first half of yesterday was productive.  The second half was spent sitting on my bed, staring into space, trying to muster the energy to get dressed and go to the store.  It's been the frustrating dichotomy of being pregnant: the desire to do more than normal, and the energy level to do much less.  I guess they call it nesting?  I call it an irrational worry that enough things won't get done before the baby comes.  I'm not really worried; I know we'll all survive if his room isn't completely finished by the time he arrives.  But I'm also okay riding the nesting wave and letting it push me to begin and finish projects all in one go.  I find I do best with a deadline, and this is a tactic I'm going to have to use if I ever want to get the rest of my house put together.

Slightly off-topic: I, after like a year of talking about it, bought a whole, new, matching set of sheets in a good color.  This may mean nothing to you, but it's the greatest thing in the world to me.  I might even be sleeping better.

Anyway, I wanted to share some of the fruits of my labors from yesterday morning.  First is the painted chevron rug project I'm doing.  I'm sure most of you have seen some form of this DIY.  This is the one that inspired me, and this is what I have so far:


Practically finished!  Or not.  Most of my time yesterday was spent figuring out how to evenly measure things on a rug that is not even on all sides, which is SO HARD TO DO with pregnancy brain.  So this was my solution: a twine grid measured only with my eyeballs.  I don't have the right kind of tape or else I would be working on it right now, but I plan to mark all the places where the twine crosses and use those to place the points of the chevrons.  Very mathematic and such.  I'm just hoping it doesn't turn out looking too DIY, you know?  I also don't know what color to paint it.  I'm trying to decide between a deep teal and a more rustic yellow-orange.  Thoughts?

A SIDE NOTE ABOUT CHEVRONS: I don't know why I'm jumping on this trend bandwagon.  Let's not call it jumping.  Let's call it lightly touching upon.  Most of you may not know about my innate disdain for trend following for the sake of trend following.  (I disdain it.)  But for some reason I really liked the look of the rug I linked to above and like the bold, graphic detail it will, with hope, add to the nursery I'm designing.  Also, I hate the word nursery.   I don't know why I used it.

But enough about that. 

The other thing I have to share I'm actually a little nervous to share, just cause it's been a while since I've painted something and art is very personal.  But I like the way this painting turned out and I'm excited to have something to put on my baby's wall that came directly from me.


Apologies for the flash glare. 
I tried really hard to not make it too girly, but obviously not very hard because there are a lot of flowers you know.  It's not very big, probably 9x12.  I don't know if I want to get it framed or not, and I'm debating if I want to make a companion painting cause I have another canvas the same size.

So many debates!  It's exhausting being me sometimes.

1 comment:

  1. Whoa that painting is awesome!!! Great job!

    I think the teal would look awesome!! I can't wait to see the finished rug, woo!

    Don't beat yourself up for being tired. You're creating a HUMAN BEING. Seriously. That's amazing enough, ah!

    ReplyDelete